Medical Imaging Apparatus
PET-CT Enables to Detect Cancer in its Early Stages
What is PET-CT?
There are organs that are difficult to examine with existing PET scan devices. Therefore, it was required to perform additional examinations, such as CT and MRI scans.Our hospital implemented the most advanced device, PET-CT, which can take images with PET scan devices and CT scan devices (X-ray computed tomography equipment) at the same time.PET-CT allows to precisely diagnose the size and position of a tumor and metastasis of cancer. Thus, it can detect cancer in its early stages and greatly help for treatment planning.
Advantages of PET-CT
- Cancers that are very small in size and difficult to detect can be found.
- Duration of examination can be short.
- Patients experience almost no pain and discomfort.
- It can diagnose malignant and benign tumors.
How the Examination Works
The frequency of cancerous cell division is more than the healthy cells. Therefore, cancerous cells require 3-8 times more glucose than what healthy cells need.PET-CT exam utilizes this unique characteristic of cancer cells and creates an image.Medicine called FDG is injected into the patient and it is carried through out the body. Cancerous cells tend to take up larger amount of FDG.With PET camera, gamma rays emitted from FDG is captured to make an image.
What Kind of Conditions Can PET-CT Detect?
- Malignant tumor, including malignant lymphoma. However this does not include detecting early stages of stomach cancer.
Our PET-CT device
- LSO high sensitivity system
- Decay Time: 1/8 compared to BGO
- It captures more gamma rays in a shorter time
- Relative Light Output: 5 times more than BGO
- Pico3D became 4.1 nanoseconds
- Reduction of random noise caused by the short time coincidence window
- Reduction of counting loss for Relative Light Output
- LSO HiREZ Detector
- Small LSO: 4mm × 4mm × 2mm thickness
- 13 x 13 arrangement
- 4.2mm (FWHM @ 1cm)
- Enabling to take head-to-toe images
- Exam table designed to enable longer stroke
- 1 stroke can take an image of the entire body
About Departments/Centers that Implements PET-CT
*The following departments/centers offer treatments and examinations with PET-CT
The specialists whom are currently offering medical care are introduced on the home page of each department.
Radiology Department , Health Screening Center